Bone fracture healing phases and standards
Bone fracture is the most common bone diseases in the world. We should know, bone fracture healing is basis on periosteal cell and osteocytes regeneration degree in patient bone. The standard of bone fracture healing is no local tenderness, no longitudinal percussion pain and no local abnormal activity of fracture area. X-ray should shows fractured lines is blurred with continuous bone callus through fracture line and other.
Bone fracture healing phases.
There are some phases from bone fracture till healing completely. Let’s see one by one.
- Reactive phase.
1) Bone fracture and inflammatory phases.
2) Granulation tissue formation in fracture area phase.
- Reparative phase.
1) Cartilage callus formation phase.
2) Lamellar bone deposition phase.
- Remodeling phase.
Influential factor to bone fracture healing.
There are also some influential factor to patient bone healing.
- General influential factor: age, health status of patient.
- Local influential factor:
- The type of fracture and the number of fracture parts. You can check the type of bone fractures from our another article named type of bone fractures, recognize broken bones. The more complicated it is the hard to healing well.
- The blood supplement status of fracture area. Poor blood supply leads to death of osteocytes.
- The injury degree of soft tissue in fractured area.
- Embedded soft tissue between fracture area.
- The impact of treatment methods.
The standard of bone fracture healing.
There are some standard of bone fracture healing .
- No local tenderness, no longitudinal percussion pain.
- There is no abnormal activity in local area or patient body.
- The X-ray shows that the fracture line is blurred and there is a continuous callus through the fracture line.
- Function test. Upper limb can raise 1kg without external fixation for several minutes, the lower limbs can walk 3 minutes continuous unarmed and not less than 30 steps.
- Continuous observation for 2 weeks without deformation of the fracture area.
Method for promoting fracture healing.
You may also learn some basic technique from First aid for bone fracture at home.